The Curmudgeon

YOU'LL COME FOR THE CURSES. YOU'LL STAY FOR THE MUDGEONRY.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Cosmic Horror and Economic Rationalism

The excellent J Sewell McEvoy, whose archive of too-little-knowns and too-soon-forgottens will amply reward your attention, has posted a review of my novella The Voivode. Besides being generous to the point of blasphemy, Mr McEvoy puts forward a reading of the book which had never even occurred to me. Not that I tend to think a great deal about the wider resonances of my fiction while I'm writing it; the nuts-and-bolts business of getting characters from here to there and keeping the prose more or less literate is usually more than enough, thank you very much. The possibility that I may accidentally have managed something extra is of course eminently pleasing, if a little unsettling; much like (I suppose) a parent waking up one day and discovering that their child has a life of its own.

The Voivode is available in paperback or as a PDF ebook; and an extract can be found here.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:41 am , Blogger Unknown said...

    I agree, it's a great book, although I'm a little annoyed my copy didn't have that inverted solar system on the cover.

     
  • At 1:58 pm , Blogger Philip said...

    Mine doesn't either. I don't think Lulu had the facilities to upload your own cover design at the time, or if they did it was too much of a pain in the arse to manage; so for Satanic Supplement, Foundations of the 21st Century and The Voivode my design talents were limited to colour and font choice.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home