The Curmudgeon

YOU'LL COME FOR THE CURSES. YOU'LL STAY FOR THE MUDGEONRY.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Two Unpleasant Items

First, as to the lack of posting: My New Year got off to an auspicious start with an attack of flu, whose attendant aches and shakes served to distract me from a lurking tooth infection. This duly burst into full abscessive glory a couple of days later, the upshot being that I now have a lump in my lower jaw about the size of a golf ball but not nearly such desirable company. I struggled to the dentist last Thursday and have thus been enabled to vary my festive diet of painkillers with a seasoning of antibiotics; and I have to go back on Wednesday to see the NHS dentist who wasn't available last week, whereupon hopefully this nonsense will cease.

Second, as to the comments facility: Haloscan has been taken over by a firm called JS-Kit, whose facilities are unable to cope with the quantity of comments which are posted via Haloscan. Rather than do anything silly like add to the capacity of their machinery, JS-Kit have opted to create an entire new comments system called Echo, with a great many new bits and pieces and new dials and buttons and new bells and whistles and new studs and chains and jewels and cogwheels and tweakers and bloopers and all sorts of other new delicious things whose usefulness is doubtless transcendental. Since Echo is so much simpler and easier and more economical than Haloscan, JS-Kit also charge a small fee for its administration. The alternative is to download all your Haloscan comments for free and, presumably, copy and paste them one by one beneath the appropriate entries. A few weeks ago, I received an email from JS-Kit advising me that they would be switching me to Echo soon and that I should choose between the new system and the download. I chose the new system, on the assumption that I would be able to switch off the 99% of it that I didn't need, and was promised a smooth transition. The result was that, a day or two ago, the Haloscan comments disappeared and not an echo was left in their place.

I have asked about it on JS-Kit's support message board (their support staff don't stoop to individual emails, apparently). I was told that according to their records I had not started the upgrade process but had "paid for the Echo subscription separately". I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, and requests for clarification have been ignored. Accordingly, I have switched to Blogger comments, asked JS-Kit for a refund and downloaded the Haloscan comments instead. I don't know if I'll ever be able to get them back up here again; but rest assured, they are not lost.

14 Comments:

  • At 3:28 am , Blogger Giovanni Tiso said...

    It is hard to make a tooth abscess seem the least painful of any two things, but the change of comments platform as you describe it might have achieved that.

     
  • At 8:30 am , Blogger Joyce Lau said...

    It seems like everyone has the flu right now. I have bronchitis!
    Do you have an infected wisdom tooth?
    I had that several years ago, and required painkillers and antibiotics.
    Since I had to pay for the removal myself (dental is not covered by my company insurance) I opted for the cheaper novacaine shot, instead of a full anesthetic.
    You know what? If you have the same thing, get all the painkiller you can afford. I could literally feel the dentist pulling at the tooth, roots, gums, etc for an hour.
    On that glum note, I hope you have a better 2010!

     
  • At 8:43 am , Blogger phil said...

    Just lie back and think of the House of Lords, and any dental pain will recede by comparison. In the event of wisdom tooth troubles, then move to the Commons.

     
  • At 9:04 am , Blogger Larry Teabag said...

    Thank heavens I've never posted anything remotely worthwhile here.

    One of the most nastiest weeks of my whole life was stranded abroad with a dental problem. It eventually eventually turned out to be embarassingly minor affair, but that didn't stop my jaw feeling like the apocalypse. Here's hoping yours gets sorted out soon.

     
  • At 10:41 am , Anonymous darjeeling junkie said...

    Sorry to hear about your tooth ting.
    I had an abcess myself a few years ago so I know what it's like-it doesn't hurt-it hoits!
    On the positve side,I found that punching a brick wall provides an almost pleasureable distraction.

     
  • At 11:02 am , Blogger Lung the Younger said...

    Just thank your lucky stars you don’t live in Spain. It’s a proven fact that all Spanish dentists are directly descended from inquisitors so don’t be shocked if they start yelling ‘CONFESAD, CONFESAD!’ while giving you a particularly agonizing root filling.

     
  • At 11:12 am , Blogger Paul said...

    The flu/abscess combo is a rough one, Haloscan worse still. I hope 2010 improves rapidly for you.

     
  • At 10:19 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I recently discovered my resistance to painkillers and low tolerance for pain to be an artifact of my redheaded forebears, though my dentist thinks I'm just a freak of nature. I went last week and am having work completed Thursday, so you have my sympathies and more.

    X

     
  • At 7:43 pm , Blogger Philip said...

    Thanks for the messages of sympathy, and for the messages of If You Think You're Badly Off... as well. The dentist couldn't extract the tooth as I can't open my jaws far enough, so I have been prescribed a more macho antibiotic and told to report again in a week's time. If things have not improved by then, I am told I shall have to be extractifidonticated under sedation, which will have to be done at private-sector prices. Meanwhile I have paid £45 in advance for the hoped-for extraction next week, plus £16.50 for the appointment last week, plus prescription charges. This is what is known in Britain as "health care which is free at the point of use".

     
  • At 7:54 pm , Blogger Giovanni Tiso said...

    This is what is known in Britain as "health care which is free at the point of use".

    Heh. Well, at least you have a point of use which exists in time, I guess. At the moment with our oldest son in NZ we're experiencing the phenomenon known to scientists as the Infinitely Receding Orthopaedic Consultation Waiting List. When originally scheduled, it was 45 days away. It has since been rescheduled four times, and is currently 50 days away. By the time he's an old man, it will be 200 years away no doubt.

     
  • At 3:04 am , Blogger Joyce Lau said...

    Dear lord. I hope you feel better.

     
  • At 3:24 am , Blogger Philip said...

    Much better, thanks. The pain is gone, and I think the lump is going too. It's taking its own sweet time about it, however.

     
  • At 6:04 am , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hong Kong, PC; come to Hong Kong. Not necessarily cheap, but quick and good.

     
  • At 6:03 pm , Blogger ejh said...

    I've had a very good dental experience in Spain, as it happens. Hope you're OK.

    Does this post explain why the comments system at Lenin's Tomb is fucked up?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home